Tuesday 16 February 2021

Innovation - Why Technology Does Not Equal Design?

Technology marches forever onward at what can seem like an ever maddening pace. For decades now becoming more central to our lives in nearly every thing we do; with Siri, Alexa and "Hey Google" personal assistants bringing that relationship ever closer.

Computers, and Information Technology (I.T.) and User Experience (UX) are part of the design world too. It's no surprise that designers produce work on computers. Photography too, is now largely computer based, especially once you have made your picture. Though I do most of my own I.T. I am not a professional, though I enjoy some of the technical aspects and 'know my way around', the nuts and bolts of it all. One of the things I loved about traditional photography was the mechanical side and marrying that to the creative ideas I had. Cost wise, getting the technical side right and the creative side right too; was paramount. Failure at the technical or creative side, could easily see you out of the game. Which made making the right choices very important.

The computer makes everything seem possible. I mean, I won't have to look for a publisher to get this article out. I'm typing straight into Blogger. When I'm ready I just need to hit the button that says 'Publish', and I'm done! Though the story might be better if it had an editor look it over first.. Everything has crossed over. Computers have made it possible for me to write, with less catastrophic spelling than you would see if you read my hand written notes..

There's opportunities for pretty much everyone to have a go at pretty much anything they choose to have a go at - digitally, these days. And that's a good thing and something I am very grateful for.

Though I am not sure I would be able to build another web site completely from scratch. Mobile first, tablet then desktop, responsive design. Actually I think most 'responsive' design websites look pretty much the same. Why? The phone's screen does not have a lot of real estate to spare. Navigation? Look for three bars... But I digress; or do I.. Some technology innovations can make you look bad. In the case of my website, with a phone you may need to pinch on the screen, and that works fine, but apparently it's not fully mobile compliant - so Google reminds me of this every once in a while via email, (not any more, I updated to full responsive in late 2019) and the threat of search downgrading if I don't make a change. But I still like my design. And as I said to a friend recently, "well it may not be mobile friendly, but it's not mobile hostile either!" So that's one way technology can make you look bad.

Another way technology can make you look bad is when the presentation of the technology is overpowered by the technology itself. As a photographer in the fashion trade, I used to refer to this as the dress wearing the model, as opposed to the other way around. It does not work, no matter how beautiful the garment is, or the model, it just doesn't look good, like kids dressed in their parents clothes, cute maybe, but not to be taken seriously. This is something 360° photography is having to deal with right now. Part of the issue is that 360° photography is technology driven at virtually every stage. It's the first of a new kind of 'captured' photography that cannot be experienced on paper; well not as an interactive photosphere. It is very different.

Movies. Films were new once too; and potentially difficult to understand. I remember as a young art student studying filmmaking, being told of film's evolution. At first, if characters went from place A to place B - the journey must be shown too, on foot or by car, train.. so as not to confuse the audience, as to how they got there, in the next scene. Now we don't bother. Well. Have you ever taken a Virtual Tour made to Google Street View's a-picture-every-three-feet specification? It's ridiculous! Like wierd software trying to make a movie with no script. No director, and no ideas. The sequence of images attempting to be a narrative of a place; ends up a complete mess that says nothing at all.

If the photographer does not have a vision for the picture they are making, the picture will not present itself as an effective vision of the subject or the place. To anyone. This idea is so basic, it's hardly discussed within creative circles at all, where understanding and investigation of your subject is taken as a given. But when you have imaging based in technology and not design, the aesthetics and the psychology of why an image works are easily - no pun intended - completely left out of the picture.

So these are the issues confronting those who want to innovate by using 360° photography. Without a doubt the benefits of being able to show more, more effectively are inherent in the new medium. Making the the right choice? Well these are still marketing pictures. And your clients are as time poor and discerning as ever. Engaged they click in, otherwise, they will click away. So you need captivating pictures, seamlessly implemented that show what you have, directly, succinctly, creatively. No one has time to click through 5, 10, pictures of your foyer and a sea of indecipherable ugly arrows or symbols everywhere; just to find the front desk. It's a waste of everyone's time and a production expense you don't need.

And when you have good design, you don't want a bull in a china shop approach to displaying that good design. What you want is a quality presentation that highlights your good taste, as seamlessly and as effectively as possible. Not just what you know, it's what you show. Quality, efficiency, and good design.

Some things never change.

https://www.hi-fidelity360.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment