Sunday 25 April 2021

Personal Project : Hyde Park Barracks Art Installation

 I love a good art installation! A few mornings ago I logged into Facebook and as I scrolled down I came across a post by my friend, artist Marlene Sarroff, one of the people who do help keep me up-to-date on art. Right there in my 'feed' were 25 shots Marlene had taken of Australian artist Fiona Hall's 2021 installation 'Who goes where?' 300 signposts depicting people transported to Sydney, which ship and from where and why. Every post represented someone who had passed through the Hyde Park Barracks between 1819 and 1887. I had made one 360° shot of the front of the barracks in 2018 while I was still figuring out just how the circular panorama worked. It was OK for helping my being Street View verified by Google - but I wanted to get back and photograph this important historic building with my now greatly improved skills. I am also a fan of Fiona Hall's art so, seeing Marlene's shots galvanised me into action and I set out that very day.

Panoramas of Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney, Australia
Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney, Australia

I started out front and in the five or so minutes it took me to set up the the light travelled across a third of the front of the building! It's already moving that fast. I will most likely return for a full light on the front shot though I don't mind the mystery of this shot. Next was the north side in full light, in amongst the signposts themselves. This makes for a highly interactive experience of being in amongst the art installation, something I think 360 does best.
Who goes here? Art Installation by Fiona Hall at Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney
Who goes here? Art Installation by Fiona Hall
Followed by a shot from out front on Queens Square, looking through the gates, across to Hyde Park, back to St Andrews then north to the Morton Bay Fig trees obscuring The Mint.
Hi-Fidelity 360° Panorama of Queens Square, Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney
Hi-Fidelity 360° Panorama of Queens Square, Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney
 


Can you believe it's now only 2:28 PM on the 23rd of April! Twenty minuets from the first shot and I sat on a bench briefly thinking about what would make a good sequence from the relationship between the art and the historic site.
Who goes here? South View, Art Installation by Fiona Hall at Hyde Park Barracks
Who goes here? South View, Art Installation by Fiona Hall at Hyde Park Barracks


One last shot from the south side, there's some construction work on access to the Registrar-General's Building - so I have shielded the worst of that with the trunk of the tree. I'm happy with the outcome and the  quality of the 360's do click the image below to see them in all their Hi-Fidelity 360° glory, double click (fast) to go fullscreen.

Visit High-Fidelity 360° to learn more about how your business can benefit from 360° panorama photography.

 Telling Stories in Pictures the World Over..

Kent Johnson, Sydney, Australia & The World.
0433 796 863

No comments:

Post a Comment